June 1, 2007

Until July Then...

I'm pretty sure that Snape is still on Dumbledore's side. But maybe this is because throughout all of these books I have lived vicariously through Harry and, thus, have this unyielding assumption that whatever Dumbledore says is the truth. Even when Snape performed the Avada Kedavra I was shaking my head no, as in 'nope, not happening,' as in 'this is not correct.' My heart feels as thought he is still on the right side. I know Dumbledore's made mistakes, but not of epic proportions.
Speaking of mistakes, after I finished the sixth book and felt a little sad as I closed it, I went into Ryan's room to talk about what just happened. I exclaimed that Dumbledore was dead and we talked about what we thought was going to happen in book number seven. I told him that the only thing that could happen is that Voldemort will be blown into smitherines by Harry, the sun will rise on the new day symbolically dawning in the wizarding world, and Harry will be basking in it's sunlight as he kisses Ginny Weasley. Ryan, of course, always being the fan of taking the oposing side, shrugged his shoulders and says, "Harry's going to end up with Hermione."

Ok, he could have said, "Harry's going to die."

But no.

He said that Harry is going to end up with Hermione. He followed that by stating that Rowling wants us to think all along that this is not possible, but then, oh so carefully will she spin this yarn in front of our eyes and Harry and Hermione will be kissing at the end. I pointed out that Rowling hints at things. Ryan replies with, "But has she hinted about it?"

Nope. Point blank. It's Ginny Weasley. End of story. At least in my opinion. : )

But all of this is an interesting look into stereotyping people in relationships. Even though Ryan weirdly wants Harry and Hermione together, which I think is a personal preference for heroic man and smart girl to end up together (which I think is really Ryan's hope that he himself ends up with smart girl, even though he keeps falling for the equivelents of Cho and Lavender Brown, but that's just my opinion as well)....the other way around is so much more understandable. Ron and Hermione. Smart girl with jock type guy. It's classic. It seems weird that they like each other, but then you understand why. They both like the differences. They find each other attractive. Harry and Hermione have too much a chance of being good friends because they rely on each other so much. Ron and Hermione would rather be crossed in love, fighting, and wondering what the other is doing because they are giving attention to and getting attention from the other person.
I've seen it in my own life. I'm a big jock fan. Which is my attempt at admitting, with a sigh, that yes, I am Hermione. It is resolved. When I saw the whole Hermione Ron thing it was clear. And then when she said the sorting hat was going to put her in Ravenclaw, she's a prefect, she spends too much time in the library and homework is too easy for her....plus let me just mention that when she took McLaggen to Slughorn's Christmas party to make Ron jealous, I laughed for about five minutes. True brains being used in the wrong way. I'm pretty sure we would have a lot of the same strengths...including strategic and focus haha.

Ok, enough fan fiction like things....I love the idea of the Horcruxes. So good, J.K., so good. It makes so much sense that Voldemort would have to split his soul up. And I love that Harry is fighting him by getting to know the human side of him through all of the memories that Dumbledore provided.
Other than that I was completely taken back to eighth grade/freshmen year of high school when Rowling kept describing the 'animal in Harry's stomach' as the thing that was happy or frustrated when he saw or thought about Ginny in general. So great.
I also liked Dumbledore's talk with Harry about still making his own decisions even though the prophecy had been given.
I also think that Malfoy is redeemable.

But my sentences are getting short, and with that I will leave you for the evening.
Good night.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this was fantastic. i laughed, i cried, it made me think.... well, it did two of the three. i'm sad that this harry potter blogging experience is over until july, but i look forward to the next one. also, i agree. it's got to be harry and ginny. there's really no other way.

Unknown said...

oh emily, i have so much to say!

first of all, don't worry - harry and hermione don't get together - JK has said a lot of times that people who still think that are delusional. or something along those lines.

also, about snape. SO MANY IDEAS. for one, JK has said that we should consider everyone redeemable in the books except for Voldemort, so that makes it seem like Snape's good, right? but i don't know. there is so much evidence for both sides... and right now, at this moment, i'm thinking that Snape's bad, BUT he'll be redeemed at the end. Dumbledore even said that as smart as he is, his mistakes tend to be that much greater.

I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THIS BOOK COMES OUT!!!!!!

the end. (sorry for the hugely long post).

Anonymous said...

You're funny...and harsh...but in a funny way. Love, anonymous guitar player next door with messy room that never goes to bed