June 10, 2007

Mini-Golf, Missy Sands, and The Mystery Caller

Last night was magical.
We mini-golfed while the sun set, the characterized fountains splashed around us, and the temperature brought out all the families with small children. It’s truly the summer.

Afterwards, Missy and I stood around in her apartment and talked about how, in six months time, Missy Sands is going to be a term that’s commonplace. Somewhere in the midst of looking at her in her apartment and realizing that, in a week’s time, I’m going to be standing next to her in a pink dress, I saw Missy for what she really was: a grown up. Never mind the fact that she has been engaged for a year and in a relationship for more than that. Never mind the fact that I’ve spent time with her and Matt together. It didn’t matter-she was still a single friend. She was still there to laugh at all of my stupid jokes, get all of the inside jokes, and understand when I talked to her about yet another boy. Yes, she’s been there since the first day of freshman year. Engaged, fiancĂ©, wedding-none of those terms mattered.

And then I realized how different we were. She’s getting married-called to love Matt and to be a wife and to be one flesh. And I’m called to be in Tower, to be surrounded by girls in the apartment that I need to be around, and to be single.

Then the realization faded and she was just Missy again. No longer Missy Weatherby to me, but not yet Missy Sands.

In the middle of mini-golfing, I received a call on my cell phone from a private number. Without even thinking about it, I thought it was my brother. When I heard the male voice when I answered, I convinced myself it was him, calling because he was driving to Oklahoma and bored. Never mind that his cell phone would have registered on my caller id. I called Ryan after I got home and told him I was sorry that I couldn’t talk earlier….but he hadn’t called me.

The Phone Conversation:
Me: Hello?
Mystery Caller: Hey.
Me (in a happy to hear from you, but I’m doing something else voice): Hey, I’m mini-golfing right now!
MC: Oh really! With who?
Me (annoyed because I told Ryan about this earlier): The bride! Missy!
MC: Cool.
Me: Are you driving right now?
MC: Yes.
Me: Okay, well I’ll talk to you later.
MC: Ok

So my dad’s thinking that somebody tried to prank me. If so, I guess I got him! Especially the part at the end when I asked him if he was driving! I can only imagine how confused he was.

Are you the Mystery Caller?

No comments: