May 23, 2007

Moving Into Uncharted Territory In Both the Literary and the Real Worlds

I'm left with a feeling of foreboding as I finished the Goblet of Fire, as I'm sure is normal. Voldemort is back. Nothing returns to happiness at the end. Even Dumbledore is talking about taking sides.
As the book became darker and darker, I was happy to get to my favorite part: Harry and Voldemort's faceoff in the graveyard (towards the end, I know-iconically me). As it became more and more apparent that Harry was going to die, I felt the soundtrack from the Return of the King pop into my head-that first french horn that sounds out as the dawn breaks on the battleground of Ministerith: the Roherim has arrived. It wasn't the end in either stories; Harry fought back and was again visited by his past, this time his father and mother.
That marks the last Harry Potter book I have actually read. The next one waits for me on my brother's shelf after I finish this blog.

I applied at Wal Mart yesterday. That's right, I sat at a computer screen for thirty minutes in front of everyone checking out and filled out an application to stock shelves. Maybe I'll hear from them, maybe I won't. At this point it's important for me to enjoy my summer, which I'm glad for. I'm glad that it's important for me to sit at my house, be around my family, read as I listen to the music coming from my brother's room, and love that we have the windows open because it gets down to 70 at night which is neither cold nor hot. It's not even technically summer yet, but I have no idea what I'm doing for nine weeks. Maybe I'll actually have a summer vacation-what a concept. This is weird for me because there has never been a time where I haven't worked over the summer....since I was thirteen.
I might go out to California and visit Corrie for an extended weekend. The beach sounds amazing at this point.
Oh, one more thing about Harry Potter-probably the only book that makes me laugh out loud at the awkwardness between members of the opposite sex. I love that J.K. Rowling lets Harry, Ron, and Hermione awkwardly be fifteen.....hahaha love is in the air. And I love that Ron and Hermione have this love/hate relationship that is so archetypal that even the Harry Potter books couldn't escape the love pattern. But I guess that's what makes them great, because we expect that, right? : ) I'll see if J.K. is actually hinting at what I think she is.

I love and miss all of you who are reading this.
: )

No comments: