May 14, 2007

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone-Check

First goal of the summer: read all of the Harry Potter books before the seventh one comes out.
I've read to book four a while back, so rereading the first one was quite exciting because I read it from a 21-year-old's perspective instead of a 14-year-old's perspective.
A couple of thoughts that I had on the way through:
1. Harry loves Hogwarts. I'm pretty sure that I can say the same about Greenville. As I was sitting in my empty dorm room, the sun streaming in, the bells playing in the square, I realized that I had the same feeling toward my school. All of us are, in my mind at least, characters with different agendas and personalities put in the same setting (GC).
2. My friend Anna (blog to the right, read it) was saying last night that her teachers sorted everyone into houses in high school. What house would I be in? Although Ravenclaw would seem like a nice fit, I feel like I would be in Gryffindor. Maybe this is because I think that I am braver than I actually am...or maybe it's my tendency to always side with main characters in everything, not just in Harry Potter. I could see myself in both houses--what's funny is that they both comprise my friendgroup at GC-the intellectual kids and the brave kids.
3. What would I see in the mirror of erised? I found myself coming to a blank on this one And then I was sad to admit the real answer: finding a guy, no, the guy, and having a family that lives in a big house. Ok, so that's not that sad, but it is the truth.
4. I'm pretty sure that I would be Ginny in the books....although I'm cheating and talking about the second one before I've finished it. I'll let you know if this is true or not.

I'm at home now (on summer holiday, if you will). I so look forward to everything this summer has to offer. As I drove home today it was hot and my living room is filled with all of my stuff from school and Ryan is vacuuming out his car with the radio playing really loud and the air conditioning isn't on in the house yet because we just have the windows open. My mom's going to come home and we'll go somewhere and it will be like I never left. Except for the part where this is my last summer at home with everyone. As I pulled into Litchfield today, it felt so much like home. I love being here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I love being there with you.