March 24, 2007

welcome to spring

Do you ever wish that you had an interim existence?
I'm reading this book right now called Whirligig. I'm pretty sure that I read it when I was in middle school, but basically it is about this 17 year old who has to go to the four corners of the US to build and set up whirligigs in memory of the teenager that he killed when he was driving drunk. The twist comes when readers find out that he was actually trying to kill himself when he was driving and the whirligig pennance act becomes life changing for him. The mother of the girl he killed bought him a 45 day bus pass to take him all across the country.
What would you do if you had a 45 day bus pass?
You would have an interim existence.
If I had an interim existence I would buy a hardback book with blank pages. Then I would go to the internet and print out as many pictures of bed and breakfasts that I could find from the Mississippi to the East. Then I would go. I would take pictures and write for magazines (Bed and Breakfast Weekly, most likely) and I would tour the places that I ended up. Not just any town can have a bed and breakfast. Bed and breakfast towns have kids that ride their bikes to the ice cream shop and people that walk their dogs after dinner because it's still warm outside. I'd do things like visit the local deli and rate the dill pickle that came with the roast beef sandwhich. I'd rate the softness of the pillow on my bed. And each room-oh, the description of each beautiful and unique room! Just to think of the sunshine that would bounce off of the walls topped with crowne molding.
This would go on for a month.
Then I would have to settle down.
You know, take a vacation from my vacation.
It takes a lot out of you-waking up to a relaxing morning, not doing anything until 3, strolling, putting on party dresses to attend the local hub-ub whatever.
But then, after all of that-living my interim existence, I would need to start phasing back into existence.
I would have to set up shop somewhere and invest.
So I'm thinking that I would spend my last 15 days on the East Coast: Bed and Breakfast on the Rocky Shore of some area where there wasn't a lot of people but a town up the road. Somewhere that was a little bit less beautiful then my stay at Prince Edward Island. I would make my room home for the next two weeks. I would walk down to the shore every night and write about what was going on with me. I would get to know the name of the baker in the bakery. I would play scrabble with the people in the living room of the house. I would go sailing with the cute man that (inevitably) lived two houses down the shore.
Even in my interim existence I would still need people. I would still need to be connected.
Sound good?
Maybe I'll do it someday.
The Bed and Breakfast Excursion.

No comments: