January 20, 2007

wrong thinking

The theme for last semester was wrong thinking.
In Philosophy I learned that Socrates' biggest plight was people thinking that they have knowledge when they really don't. We actually explored the question 'what does it mean to know something' and we learned that a couple of philosophers had a lot of definitions for what it doesn't mean to know something.
In British Literature, specifically in the section that had to do with Medieval thought about religion, we read "The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus" --This guy (Dr. Faustus) had all of the knowledge in the world but still decided to puruse magic and conjuring up the devil because he wasn't thinking correctly.
I just watched 'Saved'-anyone that has seen that movie can attest to the fact that people with wrong thinking do damage.
This led me to think about what I discussed all last semester: is the wrong mindset the worst thing in the world?
For me, yes.

I have been plagued by wrong thinking.
Example time: Tonight I couldn't get something out of my head and I allowed it to ruin my entire evening. (Before you're worried, it was something insignificant and small.) Sure, I had fun, but my mind couldn't get out of the state that it was in. I'm sure this affected how I treated people-even if it wasn't noticeable, I still could tell the difference in myself.
Wrong thinking = wrong thoughts about self normally. And for me, wrong emotions that can get out of control fast.
And do you know what I want through all of this time of feeling bad for myself? I just want someone to love me. I don't even want to rectify the situation in my mind, I just want someone to generally love me for me.
BOO HOO EMILY-This is what should be going through your head right now.
Before this gets too emotional, I really want to get to the point that-even though it really stinks to admit it-that when I am like this I miss the actions that could really be described as love because I'm too caught up in self pity/not letting go/not being vulnerable.
And then I get on this avenue toward needing to be fulfilled and that's never a good place to be in.
The left turn directly before that 'avenue' is to debunk the specific wrong thinking that is in my head right now. So I'm off to go do that in the best way that I know how: journaling.
Words from my youth: when God brings up an issue, it usually means that He wants you to deal with it.
Deal = going to Him with the issue, talking to Him about why it's bothering you, waiting for His help to debunk the situation-through people, His word, one time I think my bad thinking was debunked by a tv show once.
Anyway, I'll let you know when this specific onset of bad thinking is debunked/how the debunking came about.
Love,
Emily

No comments: