August 26, 2007

Head Girl-ship

The other day I was running around town (literally running) and it was funny to me how many smells I ‘ran’ through. As I was running by the side of campus I passed a freshman guy and girl and ran through the cloud of cologne/perfume that made me open and close my eyes again because it was so strong. I was running by a house on College Avenue that was obviously doing laundry because the smell made me think of home: laundry detergent plus hot air, with a hint of a bounce sheet mixed in their somewhere. Running back on College Avenue the other way was the smell of Mario’s. It was funny to me how long it lingered. The best smell, though, by far, was the trees. And there’s only certain places you can truly smell them. True smell=with the smell of soil and grass mixed in. Walking down into the cemetery or the road by the hospital is good for that. You have to be around enough trees and away from everything else for the smell to envelope you….and it’s good when it does.

It’s safe to say that I love my job. Being the SRC is pretty great. Aside from doing the normal things like checking in students and planning for programs, I get to do things like hang out with Kelcey and Pedro. What other students get that opportunity? I was thinking today that it’s great that I’m the little person on Senior Staff and then I turn around and I’m the leader of my Upper Division RC’s. It’s really a perfect place to be in: being shown how to lead and then leading in my own area of campus. Not to mention the fact that my UD staff is amazing. All in all, things are starting to take shape in the area of Rez life on the North end of campus.

Classes start on Wednesday. Oh required reading, how I love thee. No, but seriously, think about it: What do you love? Basketball? Cooking? Skydiving? What if you were required to do it for class all of the time? Yeah, that’s how I feel about reading. World Religions and Foundations of Christian Doctrine here I come!

No comments: