July 6, 2007

Hello, I'm Johnny Cash

For an avid movie fan, you would think that I would get around to seeing movies that are thought of as particularly good by everyone and have won several awards.

Somehow, that doesn’t always happen and I see a movie a year or two late.

Tonight I saw Walk the Line for the first time.

I loved the poetic retelling of Johnny Cash’s life-the writer fully encompassing the pain and sorrow that comes from addiction and life on the road.

I absolutely adored June Carter as a character and Reese Witherspoon as an actress all at the same time. And I did like watching them fall in love—granted it was after failed marriages, infidelity, and lots of issues, but it was a true story that included forgiveness and redemption. Plus, who can say no to a completely non-cheesy ‘here I’m going to teach you how to do this and touch you at the same time’ classic love story scene? Yeah,
best one that I’ve seen in a while.

I love when screenplay writers start off the movie with a scene towards the end and successfully progress through the movie to that scene. The writing, needless to say, was awesome: enough background of Cash’s life, just the right scenes to show the emotion that was going on, and just enough to develop June as well.

My dad’s favorite scene is when June’s family chases the drug dealer off Cash’s property with a gun. We laughed. “Sometimes that’s the way it has to be done.” –Dad
And you know, I would have to agree with that. Sometimes we have to vehemently chase things away.

My favorite scene happens to be when June and Johnny first meet and she gets her dress stuck on his guitar strap. She rushes on stage and inadvertently leaves a piece torn from her dress on Johnny’s guitar. Where was the deleted scene showing that he still had that piece of dress with him years later?? : ) But really, the way that they looked at each other…..(insert low whistle here). You should read about how a couple looks at each other in Sex God by Rob Bell…; ).

My mom’s favorite scene is when Johnny and the boys are first auditioning and the label guy comes out with this monologue that book ends the rest of the movie-“if you had to choose one song to sing before you died.” Again, incredibly, not cheesy! June has some zingers too which I especially enjoyed.

I’ll probably watch it again tomorrow.

No comments: