December 27, 2007

It Started With a Christmas Present


My favorite Clark Gable film so far is "It Started In Naples" with Sophia Loren and the most hilarious little Italian boy you will ever see on film. Ryan gave it to me for Christmas, to which I exclaimed: "Oh, I love Clark Gable!" Gable made this film in 1960-his second to last film. Gable finds himself in Italy to take care of his deceased brother's estate. What he finds is an 8-year-old Italian boy (his nephew) that doesn't go to school because it starts to early, smokes, drinks, and curses. I was in love. Gable also finds, of course, Sophia Loren, the little boy's guardian. The love story was predictable, but I think the reason I liked this movie so much was because of the Italian boy and the fact that they were on the Island of Capri, which made me think of Elizabeth Gilbert's travels in the book I'm reading: Eat, Pray, Love. The entire Eat section is devoted to her travels in Italy.

Italy seems like a fun place to be. Gable is annoyed, at first, by the parties that go all night in the streets and the fact that he can't speak Italian (which is the world's most beautiful language-again, read Eat Pray Love.) But he comes around and gets the best of both worlds when he decides to stay with Loren and the Italian boy on Capri. My dad would also like me to mention that it is a very colorful film; he kept coming into the living room and exclaiming: "It's so colorful!" Yes, Father, the beauty of VistaVision in the 60's. So yes, you can borrow "It Started in Naples" if you would like, seeing that it is the first Clark Gable movie that I own. It's worth watching just to laugh at how much the Italian people yell at each other, including the 8-year-old.

I met Pam Beasley today at Family Hair Care. No, not Jenna Fischer....a real Pam. I was sitting next to this woman as we were waiting for our hair to continue to dye and we started talking about how she is from Michigan and here for her brother-in-law's wedding. Come to find out that she is a receptionist and an artist and her husband proposed to her after 5 years of being 'just friends.' She did actually look like Pam too. She was so nice! I told her to watch the office. She told me that she liked talking to me and to have a nice life.

Next Gable movie: "Mutiny on the Bounty."

No comments: